Monday, August 01, 2005

Music in Albany NY the last week in July 2005

Back in the day I wanted to sing back up for Leon Russell. That is how much I liked his music. But his appearance in Albany last week left much to be desired. Oh, yeah, his voice was the same unique mix of honky tonk and blues and he hammered the piano as he did in the past. But there was no passion in his music. He just didn't seem to want to be there. No "hi Albany, how ya' doin'?" or "I wrote this song for Joe Cocker back in the day." Nothing. Nada. Play a song, pause, play another song. No engaging with the fans...

Then there was the shroud that covered his faux piano. I'm not sure what the hell was under it...a box with what looked like a VCR and tons of wires....but I couldn't see anything that resembled a piano there.

Guess you can't go home again. I think I will have to be content with wanting to be Bonnie Raitt.

Then there was the ill-fated trip to SPAC to see Tom Petty. Who knew it would be wall to wall kids (drunk at that) who wanted to be at THE summer concert, according to Metroland. Or Black Crows fans going to see them for the fist time in more than five years.

We bailed and drank vodka tonics at a friends house - listening to petty - thinking about the old days.

Fuckin' kids...fuckin' Black Crows.

No comments: