Sunday, August 07, 2005

What is wrong with our youth??

Last night, after seeing the Philadelphia orchestra at SPAC, my friend and I went into Saratoga for a drink and a bit of the night life.

Who knew Saratoga on the weekend was a time for those with hot motorcycles to show off their bikes? And there were some impressive machines there, too. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a biker. But I am very interested in what I refer to as "subcultures" and the people in them. Those groups of hard-core enthusiasts of things most people know very little about. I have a friend in Atlanta, GA who is into live gaming. Once a month she meets up with other people and they enter a fantasy world of vampires...But I digress.

So here were are in Toga town, walking around, when we see a rather large crowd of young people around a huge white Cadillac SUV...The "Esplanade" I believe it is called. The thing is all tweaked out, chrome rims with the bits that rotate backwards when the vehicle is in motion, doors that open by pulling up and forward, wide screen DVD and more. So friend and I gawk a bit too, then I notice the tiny car behind it. Nobody is paying the least bit of attention to it.

A freak' Ferrari Testarossa. How can you NOT gawk at a Ferrari Testarossa, for cryin' out loud??? But that was the case...the big gas guzzling freak of a vehicle got all the attention from this crowd, the Thorobred went unnoticed.

What the hell is worng with people these days? Have they no appreciation for the truely finer things in life?

No comments: